FAQ – Water, Fire, Mold, Sewage, Restoration
Common Restoration FAQ
These are the most common FAQ’s we get! Learn more about water, fire, mold and sewage! United Water Restoration Group of Colorado Springs are your local restoration experts! Serving Colorado Springs and surrounding areas!
What Do You Do If You Have Mold In Your House?
- Mold is more than just something that is very harmful to you and your family, it can also weaken your walls, ceilings and floor. If you believe you have mold, contact UWRG of Colorado Springs to get a free visual assessment of a mold test.
- Mold appears in dark gray, green, or even black blotches or spots on surfaces. It’s often raised and textured, and accompanied by a mildew-like odor.
Can You Stay In A House With Black Mold?
The safest option is for you to leave the property during the duration of the project. Many mold removal and remediation companies will recommend that you leave the property, especially if multiple rooms and hallways are affected.
- How Long Does It Take For Mold To Grow In Your Home?
- Mold can grow immediately after water damage, but it usually takes anywhere from 24-48 hours to establish itself.
WATER DAMAGE FAQ
How Do You Know If You Have Water Damage?
- The most common water damage signs are dark spots, water stains or peeling paint. Walk through your home and look for the signs of water damage. If you see dark spots or stains, touch the spot to see if it’s wet. If the surface is damp or spongy, the odds are there is a water problem.
How Long Does It Take For Water Damage To Show?
- Water Damage can become visible within 48 hours up through 7 days. The doors, windows, and wood flooring may swell and warp, and metal may begin to rust and corrode.
What Happens When Water Gets In Your Wall?
- Excess water and moisture gets absorbed in wood, drywall, insulation, and wallpaper which can lead to warping, stains, bubbling, and deterioration. Hidden water leaks can also cause mold to grow and spread in areas behind walls and ceilings where it is not easily seen.
- Can The Smell Of Smoke Be Removed?
- Yes it can! Once we have removed all soot from the walls, carpets, furniture, and any other damaged contents of your property or business, our certified restoration team deodorizes your home or business to permanently remove the smell of smoke.
- Is It Safe To Sleep In Your Home After A Small Fire?
- Even if the fire is contained in one room, smoke particles easily spread to other parts of the house, and they linger on after the fire is put out. It is safer to stay out of your home until your home is restored. Contact your insurance company to see if they cover the costs of staying in a hotel.
When Should You Call For Water Restoration Services?
- After a major storm, whether you are left to deal with the after-effects of flooding or a particularly nasty storm, calling your restoration company as soon as possible is important.
What Does A Restoration Company Do?
- Restoration companies are usually the first responders following significant damage to a home from floods and fires, water damage, mold removal and other major events. The job of a restoration company is to clean up the mess and to preserve and protect the home and its contents so that further damage will not occur.
Why Do You Need A Restoration Company VS Just Calling A Plumber?
- When dealing with water damage, there are different levels. A small, easily-fixed leak under you faucet certainly doesn’t require extensive attention, but if that leak gets out of control and results in serious flooding or the growth of mold, then you’ll need to take a step beyond just hiring a plumber.
- Plumbers are able to handle many problems with your pipes, faucets, sewer lines, toilets, and more, but their abilities only go so far when it comes to emergency situations. If you’re looking for precision and efficiency on a larger scale, you’ll need to contact a restoration company prepared for the situation.
- After your home or business suffers any type of damage, you should contact your insurance company if you plan to make a claim. Arranging for an inspection by a mitigation and restoration service should be the next step you take. Days may pass before an insurance adjuster arrives on-site to assess the damage.
Do I Have To Use The Restoration Company My Insurance Refers?
- This is one of the most common restoration FAQs we hear. The answer is no! It is your choice which restoration company you use. Even if it is implied by your insurance adjuster, you get final say which company you want to restore your property to pre-damage state.
What Does The Water Damage Process Entail?
- To start, we clean up all standing water still present in the property. Next, we assess the water damage. UWRG of Colorado Springs determines what can be salvaged and what needs to be disposed of, then make sure the area is dried and dehumidified.
- Staying ahead of any potential mold growth is something we prioritize with water damage restoration. We train our technicians to restore property before replacing it, if possible.